How to stop dog from eating christmas tree?

  • Bruce,
  • March 16, 2022,
  • 5406

13 Tips for Dog Proofing Your Christmas Tree

  1. Give Your Dog Time to Get Used to Your Tree.
  2. Consider Crate Training.
  3. Hang Fragile Ornaments Out of Reach.
  4. Cover Cords and Keep Lights Out of Reach.
  5. Keep Food and Toxic Items Off the Tree.
  6. Distract Your Dog from the Tree.
  7. Avoid Using Tinsel or Curly Ribbons.
  8. Watch for Pine Needles.

Do dogs eat Christmas trees?

Real Christmas Trees Can Be Dangerous, Too Because pine needles are not digestible, eating them can hurt your dog. Fallen needles can make a tempting chew toy for puppies. Even older dogs might enjoy the scent and put the needles in their mouth. Because they're sharp, needles can puncture your dog's GI tract.

How to keep dog from destroying christmas tree?

Here are 10 tips on how to keep your Christmas tree canine-free.

  1. Buy an artificial Christmas tree.
  2. Put a baby gate around your tree.
  3. Put your tree on a table out of reach.
  4. Make sure your tree is properly secured.
  5. Avoid putting presents under your tree.
  6. Spray a deterrent on the tree.
  7. Put an alert system in place.

What happens if a dog eats Christmas tree?

Pine needles from Christmas trees can cause gastrointestinal problems in dogs. Throat issues and vomiting can result from a dog eating pine needles, and the needles can get trapped in a dog's paws. Christmas tree water can also be harmful if drunk by a dog.

How do I stop my dog from drinking Christmas tree water?

To keep the dog and cats out, take a plastic lid, such as a margarine or ice cream pail lid. Cut a slit to the middle, and then cut out a circle in the middle the size of the tree trunk. Slip this around the tree trunk and lower it so it covers the water container. You may have to tape it down to keep the pets out.

Will my puppy eat my Christmas tree?

A live tree can be especially hazardous. Dogs and cats like to chew on the limbs, and the fir tree oils can be irritating to the mouth tissue, causing such symptoms as drooling and vomiting. Also, if your pet is chewing on the branches, there is a good chance he is also swallowing some of the needles.

How do I stop my puppy from biting my Christmas tree?

Put fragile ornaments on higher branches To keep your family heirlooms safe, and protect your dog from broken glass, put fragile ornaments towards the top of the tree, or switch to plastic. Depending on how rambunctious and curious your dog is, you may want to leave the bottom third of the tree bare.

How do I keep my puppy from eating my Christmas tree?

You can use treats to train your dog to stay away from and leave the tree alone and reinforce the behavior. Other methods involve creating a negative association with the tree, using a barrier your dog will not like to walk on, such as aluminum foil, can be used, or products available from a pet store.

How common is Christmas tree syndrome?

In many cases, once the tree gets into your home the mold on the tree begins reproducing, triggering an allergic reaction known as “Christmas Tree Syndrome.” About 7% of the general population with allergies suffers from Christmas tree allergies.

What is Christmas tree syndrome?

Being allergic to a Christmas tree – often called the Christmas tree syndrome - is a condition that causes wheezing, sneezing, coughing, sore eyes, and potentially serious asthma attacks.

How do you keep pets away from Christmas trees?

  1. Lock Them Out. The only foolproof way to keep pets away from your Christmas tree is to simply bar them from the area.
  2. Tie It Up (The Tree, That Is)
  3. Use A Pet-Deterring Spray.
  4. Wrap It In Foil.
  5. Decorate Accordingly.

Is Christmas tree sap bad for dogs?

They are not digestible and can be mildly toxic depending upon your dog's size and how much she ingests. The fir tree oils can irritate your dog's mouth and stomach and cause her to vomit or drool excessively. Tree needles also can obstruct or puncture her gastrointestinal tract.

Can Christmas trees hurt dogs?

The Dangers Associated With Christmas Trees Live Trees: Fir, spruce, and pine trees make excellent Christmas trees and are generally non-toxic to pets. The needles, however, can cause oral irritation and in excessive amounts, gastrointestinal upset.

Is my dog allergic to Christmas tree?

Christmas trees are one of many holiday plants that can be toxic to pets. While trees aren't the greatest concern for pets, they are considered "mildly toxic," according to pet supply company Hartz. The oils from trees and tree needles can cause upset stomachs in animals.

Can a dog get sick from drinking Christmas tree water?

Ingestion of artificial tree material also can cause GI irritation and possible GI obstruction if enough is ingested. When pets drink Christmas tree water, mild vomiting and diarrhea are possible, and if Christmas tree preservatives are added to the water, usually it will still only be mildly upsetting to the GI tract.

How do you stop dogs from peeing on trees?

In the long run, the ideal solution is for dog-owners to train dogs to pee on non-plant areas. A sign post, a mailbox 4-x-4 or the legendary fire hydrant are all better upright targets than a tree, and a mulched or gravel bed is a better outdoor potty than a groundcover bed or planting of black-eyed susans.


I’m Bruce. I’m the head trainer at Doggie Do Good Rescue, where I have the pleasure of helping owners with all sorts of behavior problems and special needs dogs learn how to play well together and live happily ever after! In addition to performing dog behavior evaluations for rescue groups, potential adopters and owners who are having trouble with their pets, I also teach pet first aid classes, pet CPR classes and pet dog training classes.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. All fields are required