Dosing Information of Ivermectin for Dogs and Cats For dogs: Dose is 0.0015 to 0.003 mg per pound (0.003 to 0.006 mg/kg) once a month for heartworm prevention; 0.15 mg per pound (0.3 mg/kg) once, then repeat in 14 days for skin parasites; and 0.1 mg per pound (0.2 mg/kg) once for gastrointestinal parasites.
What is ivermectin? Ivermectin is most commonly used as a heartworm preventive in dogs and cats. It also used 'off label' or 'extra-label' for treating a variety of internal and external parasites.
Ivermectin is FDA-approved for use in animals for prevention of heartworm disease in some small animal species, and for treatment of certain internal and external parasites in various animal species.
The oral route is the only approved for ivermectin administration in humans.
Ivermectin is parasiticide, meaning it kills parasites. It's a very broad-spectrum parasiticide that can treat internal parasites, like worms, or can be applied topically to treat mange or lice.
While widely deemed safe, ivermectin can be toxic to dogs, causing neurological abnormalities such as depression; drooling, anorexia, and vomiting; dilation of the pupils and blindness; inability to stand or control voluntary movement; disorientation, tremors, and seizures; and coma.
Extract the Ivomec liquid from the bottle using a syringe with a needle attached. Ivomec is administered by mouth using a syringe (with the needle removed). You can also inject Ivomec into a piece of bread and feed it to your dog. DO NOT inject Ivomec into your dog's skin.
Although structurally similar to macrolide antibiotics and antifungal macrocyclic polyenes, the avermectins have no antibacterial or antifungal activities.
Cattle: IVERMECTIN should be given only by subcutaneous injection under the loose skin in front of or behind the shoulder at the recommended dose level of 200 mcg ivermectin per kilogram of body weight.
Of particular importance today is ivermectin's ability to prevent heartworm infections in dogs with monthly dosing (e.g., Heartgard). Ivermectin has also protected hundreds of millions of livestock from a variety of parasites.
Given at the proper doses and under the supervision of a veterinarian, ivermectin is safe for most dogs and is very effective in treating and preventing a number of parasites. However, a dog with the mutation who ingests the drug can have a severe, life-threatening reaction called ivermectin toxicity.
Ivermectin Dosage for Dogs For skin parasites, it is 0.15 milligram per pound (0.3 milligram per kilogram) and needs to be repeated after 14 days. For internal worms, the one-time dose is 0.1 milligram per pound (0.2 milligram/kilogram).
– For most dogs signs of toxicosis may be seen at doses greater than 2 mg/kg (0.9 mg/lb). Dogs affected by genetic sensitivity can have toxicosis with as little as 0.1 mg/kg (0.04 mg/lb).
Each milligram (mg) of paste contains 0.0187 mg (1.87 percent) or 0.00153 mg (0.153 percent) of ivermectin.